The Supremacy of Christ: Reconciliation
Key Truth: Through His death, Jesus brings reconciliation between God and God’s enemies, and all who remain faithful to the Gospel enjoy assurance of this salvation.
- “You once were…” Reconciliation is necessary because you were estranged from God. (Colossians 1:21)
- You were an estranged enemy of God.
- You proved your enmity with God by both your thoughts and your actions.
- “He has now…” Reconciliation is possible because Jesus died in your place. (Colossians 1:22)
- We are reconciled to God, in Jesus body of flesh by his death.
- The result of Christ’s reconciling work is that he presents you to the Father, holy and blameless and above reproach before him.
- “If you continue…” Reconciliation is proven as you remain faithful to God. (Colossians 1:23)
- Mankind’s real problem is that every person is born alienated from and enemies of God.
- Christ alone is the solution to our problem.
- Be faithful until death.
- Paul presents man’s problem as alienation and enmity with God. What are our cultural counterfeits to God’s Word? How would modern man describe man’s problem? Would they even acknowledge there is a problem?
- Paul presents God’s solution to our problem as the substitutional death of Jesus. What are our cultural counterfeits to God’s Word? Where does modern man look for solutions for sin, guilt and shame?
- What are some practical implications to Colossians 1:23? What would your counsel be to someone who said they used to believe the Gospel but don’t any more? What are the implications regarding your ongoing relationship with the Gospel?